Saturday, December 18, 2010

Things I want for Micah

When I was a child my parents didn't give me every little thing I wanted, but they always made sure I had what I needed.  I want that same thing for my son.  I want to give him things without having him expect to get every new thing that comes onto the market.  I want him to have a simple childhood.  I looked forward to Saturday morning cartoons.  Do children do that these days?  I'm not sure they do because they can have cartoons any time they want.  I want Micah to understand that you have to wait for some things, which is why I want him to be a Saturday morning cartoon child.  I want him to find ways to amuse himself other times.  I want him to try new foods, push his limits, find a mud hole to play in, play in the rain...I want him to have a childhood close to what I had.  The way I was raised made me the person I am today.  It taught me to appreciate everything, no matter how small.  I didn't get to do many of the things I wanted to growing up simply because my parents couldn't afford it.  I thought at the time that it was unfair and even pouted at times but what would I have learned if I did get everything I wanted?  I'm thinking not much.  Instead, I grew up knowing that I couldn't have and do every single thing I wanted.  But I also knew that my parents sacrificed so that Jeremy, Timothy, and I could have nice things.  When I got older I learned that they sacrificed even more than I realized so we could have some of the things we wanted.  But they never sacrificed time with us.  My parents were always there for us.  I was spoiled on love, not on things.  I want Micah to know that kind of love from Scott and me. 

I hope my parents know how much I love and appreciate them.  They were the best and still are pretty great!

1 comment:

  1. i can totally understand wanting the same solid upbringing that you had growing up. i also know that your sweet family and friends will want to spoil micah occasionally, because they love you and scott and will love micah so much, too. so i guess what i'm saying is that while it's good to temper the inclination to ridiculously spoil your precious child, also have some compassion for those who just want what is best for micah and truly try to give him what they hope will be great for him. motherhood seems to be a precarious balance between what you think is best and what everyone else hopes will be good for your child. the challenge is helping micah to become the man you want him to be no matter what outside influences may occur. you will be a great mother, so don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete