Friday, December 10, 2010

What's in a name?

Ever since I was a little girl dreaming of starting a family, I have had names picked out for my children.  They had changed over the years from one thing to another (sometimes because someone else used "my" name) but I always just knew what I would name a child if I were to have one.  Even after Scott and I married we discussed names and had names picked out for our children.  We actually had two boy names and two girl names.  I thought then that the hardest thing to do would be to decide which name to use first when we finally were blessed with a child.

My how things change when you are actually expecting!  I always thought I would just know what to name my child but it isn't that easy. We haven't really even considered the names we previously had chosen as an option for this child.  Scott and I apparently have very different tastes in names so it has been hard to agree on anything.  After finding out we are expecting a boy we have finally started focusing on boy names.  We discussed a first name which would have a couple of special meanings a couple of days ago.  Yesterday we discussed names that go along with that name.  We are pretty sure about the first name because of how special it is and because we both agree that we like it.  That is not a small feat with me and Scott when it comes to a name for this child!  We aren't ready to disclose that name yet though because we don't want negative comments to influence our decision.  It has been hard enough without taking everyone's criticism.  Once we decide on a middle name (or think we have decided) we will reveal the name we have chosen to family and friends.  For now we are keeping it our little secret.  It is kind of nice to have that secret between us.  :-)  We do have a middle name we've been kicking around since yesterday.  Hopefully we'll be able to sit down (we've haven't had face to face time with the full name) soon and decide if this is the name for our little one.  I know we can change it and with us we may very well end up doing that.  But I want to at least have a good deal of certainty before telling our name.   

1 comment:

  1. like juliet was saying, a name doesn't change the person. well, unless you name your boy sue, like the old song. :o) but i hope you find a name that you'll love. i know you guys will.

    ReplyDelete