Saturday, March 12, 2011

Birthing classes

Scott and I started attending birthing classes February 17th.  What have we learned?

Class 1:  Mumbo jumbo about pregnancy that we already knew.  We also were told what we would be covering in each class.  Biggest shock:  Trust me, you don't want to know.

Class 2:  We watched a labor and delivery video that outlined 5 birth stories.  Seemed like the video took forever and wasn't all that interesting to me.  Nothing Scott and I hadn't seen before but apparently we were the only ones.  I think a couple of the group were rethinking this whole baby thing.  Too late!  We then took a tour of the Women's Pavilion.  It was nice to see where we needed to go and be walked through the process we would encounter.  We covered where we would go given a routine delivery and a c-section.  When we returned to the classroom we were told what equipment is available to us for use during labor...tub, birthing ball, etc.  After delivery Scott and I will have an hour alone with Micah where we will work on feeding and spend time bonding.  (They say newborns are most alert right after delivery).  After that hour Scott will strut to the nursery with Micah where he will be weighed, measured, etc.  Biggest shock:  Micah will have to stay in the nursery for 3 hours for monitoring!

Class 3:  We went over the epidural and iv drugs available and the process for giving them. We we also told what to expect as far as recovery time in the labor and delivery room.  Not looking forward to them pushing around on a uterus that I am sure will be sore from delivery but understand they have to.  We also went back to the rooms.  Class 2 all of the postpartum rooms were full so this was the first time for us to tour one of them.  Funny, the one we toured isn't as nice as I remember them being when my niece was born.  Then we went back to the labor and delivery room again to see how the bed breaks down and learn more about the incubator.  We all agreed the bed looked like a medieval torture device.  Who knew they broke down like they do!  Also got more details on what happens to Micah during his 3 hour nursery stay and that there is wireless access in some parts of the hospital.  While Micah is in the room, which I plan for him to room-in, there can be no children present and only three people (including Scott) can be in the room with us while he is there.  If he isn't there we can have the room packed out if we want.  I know some little girls who will be very disappointed they won't get to see him.  Guess they will have to settle for seeing him through the nursery room window until he gets home!


Class 4:  Our final class focused on breastfeeding.  I've done so much research on this that I knew most of what they discussed.  Biggest shock:  Okay, so no real shocks this class.  But I did find out that if you take decongestants for allergies it will also dry up your milk supply some.  Guess I will be suffering through my allergies/sinuses this summer!

We had a really good class with some great people.  I hope to stay in touch with them all through facebook and maybe out children can even have some play dates in the future.  I'm really glad that we decided to do birthing classes.  I feel much better about things and definitely feel more comfortable with what will happen at the hospital once we arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment